Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Thursday, June 4, 2020

Southwest Cheesy Chicken and Rice

I came up with this one evening when I needed something quick to take to a dinner at work some years back.  I made it with odds and ends in the fridge, along with things I had in my cupboard.  Turned out so good I started making it on purpose.  You can use leftovers or buy things especially for it.  It will always be good. 

1 jar queso, I like 505 Roasted Hatch Chile queso, slightly warmed  or a couple cups of melted Velveeta
4-5 cups cooked rice
4 cups diced cooked chicken or turkey or cooked ground beef or roast pork or beef roast, whatever you have or like
1 small jar chunky picante sauce, I like Pace the best
1 pkg. taco seasoning or 2 tbsp chili powder or your own Mexican spice mix

Mix all together and place in a greased baking dish, top with grated cheese if you wish and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until bubbly around the edges and the cheese is browned.   You can also put in a crockpot, top with some grated cheese and then heat on low until bubbly.    This is also very good for filling burritos.  As always, enjoy!!!