Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Friday, September 4, 2026

Harvard Beets

 When I was a child I was not a fan of beets.  Their color put me off for some reason, as well as their earthy flavor, they tasted of dirt to me.   We were often served them in school lunches and I would never even taste them.   My mom and grandma pickled them and most of the family loved them.   But once I hit high school, not sure why but tasted the Harvard beets that we were often served and discovered that I actually liked them and the earthy flavor no longer tasted of dirt!  I loved the sauce it was served in and the sweet and sour flavor that complemented the earthiness of the beets.   I was hooked!  I tried the pickled beets next and found that sweet and sour flavor, as well as the spiciness of the pickling spices.   And even decided that I liked plain buttered boiled or roasted beets.   Later in life, I was introduced to the joy of Ukrainian borscht!    But my heart and taste buds still belongs to Harvard beets and here is how to make them. 

   

¾ cup white sugar 
 4 teaspoons cornstarch
⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
⅓ cup water or beet liquid
2 (15 ounce) cans sliced beets, drained and 1/3 cup of the liquid reserved or steamed, boiled or roasted beets, peeled and if boiled reserve the liquid.
3 tablespoons butter
Combine sugar, cornstarch, butter, vinegar and beet liquid (or water) in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the beets and simmer until hot through.