Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Snickerdoodles--Another Childhood Favorite

As I mentioned before, we always had sweet stuff around when I was a child. Mama was known for her pies, cookies, cakes and homemade candies. We all had our favorites growing up. My little sister liked chocolate chip cookies, my brother liked German chocolate cake and my older sister loved snickerdoodle cookies. Snickerdoodles are also the favorite of my friend Sharon from work. When I want to put a smile on her face I just bake her a batch. Here is my recipe for snickerdoodle cookies:

1 cup softened butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup white sugar
2 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp. cream of tartar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Mix together the dry ingredients well and then fold into the butter, sugar and egg mixture. Form into balls (I use a 2 tbsp. scoop to make the balls the same size) and then roll in a mixture of 1 tbsp. cinnamon with 1/2 cup sugar (I like to use a coarse crystal sugar, like turbanado.). Place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart and bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees. Bake about 10 minutes or so, the cookies will be puffed, cracked and dry looking on top and just barely beginning to color around the edges. Allow to cool partially on the cookie sheet before removing to finish cooling on a rack. Using the large scoop, this batch will make about 2 1/2 dozen cookies.