Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Vegetables

I haven't written too much about vegetables and that might lead you to think I don't cook them very often.   However, I always include at least one vegetable in every meal I fix.   Usually I cook them lightly steamed with just a bit of butter for flavoring.   Often I fix a bag of Birds Eye Steamfresh  frozen vegetables.  I like them as I think they are very high quality and they also provide just enough for Aaron and I to share.    Sometimes to be different I will season them like this:

Just before steaming the vegetables as directed on the bag, heat about 3 tbsp. olive oil in a skillet.   Add about 1 cup frozen pearl onions or a small onion peeled and thinly sliced.   Stir fry in the hot oil until tender and just beginning to brown.   Peel and chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and add to the skillet.   Stir and fry very briefly, until the garlic just barely begins to color and smells very fragrant.   Be careful not to scorch as it will give it a bitter taste.    Steam the vegetables as directed and then stir into the onion, garlic, oil mixture.  Stir well to combine and then serve.

Another favorite of both Aaron and I are steamed carrots.   I peel and slice however many carrots I think we'll eat or use a small bag of baby carrots.   Simmer in water to cover until tender.   Drain and add a tablespoon or so of butter and either a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar or honey or maple syrup.   Cover and allow the carrots to sit a few minutes before serving.   Enjoy!