Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Saturday, September 18, 2010

My Meatloaf

I love a good meatloaf.  It should be moist, tender, not too firm and not too crumbly.   For years I couldn't make a decent meatloaf for anything.   I did some research and discovered what I needed to do was make a panade, a mushy mixture of bread and milk.   Since then my meatloaves are turning out perfect.   I rarely make a meatloaf the same way twice, depending on what I have in the fridge or what seasonings I'm into at the moment.   Here is my basic meatloaf recipe and one I think you will like.   It makes a big meatloaf, enough for several people or several meals.    And that's ok by me, as I love leftover meatloaf!   Enjoy

In a blender or food processor add about 3 cups torn up bread with 1 1/2 cups milk and an egg.   Blend until smooth.   Scrape into a large mixing bowl.

Meanwhile, finely chop 3 slices of bacon and start cooking in a dutch oven.   While the bacon is rendering its fat, peel and finely chop a medium sized onion, then add to the bacon.   Cook slowly until the onion is golden brown and the bacon is starting to brown.   Scrape into the mixing bowl with the panade.   Then add about 1 cup oatmeal, 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 1/2 tsp. celery salt, 1 tsp. paprika.   Mix all together well.   Now add 1 pound ground chuck, 1 pound ground pork and 1 pound ground turkey (or use 1 1/2 pounds pork and 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck).    With clean hands mix everything together well, it should be moist, but not runny.   Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and form the meat mixture into a large loaf.   Generously spread ketchup over top and sides of the meatloaf,  add about 1/2 cup water to the bottom of the pan and bake at 375 degrees for about an hour and a quarter.   Remove and allow to sit in the pan about 15 minutes before cutting.