Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Thursday, November 18, 2010

Pumpkin Pie Cake

To be honest, I'm not a big fan of anything pumpkin.   I just don't care much for the taste and usually substitute cooked and mashed sweet potatoes instead.   About the only thing made with pumpkin that I really do enjoy, happens to be this cake.   I know, I know, it uses a boxed cake mix, but even so, it is pretty darned tasty.    I usually make this at Thanksgiving instead of pumpkin pie, and yes, I also usually make it using cooked, mashed sweet potatoes, but that is our little secret!   Enjoy!

1 large can cooked pumpkin (or about 4 cups cooked, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes)
1- 13oz can of evaporated milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs

Beat all together until smooth.   Butter a 9x13 inch cake pan and pour the pumpkin mixture in it.   Sprinkle one box of yellow cake mix evenly over the pumpkin mixture and gently pat down with your hand.   Melt 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter and drizzle over the top of the cake mix.   Bake at 350 degrees for about 50 minutes or until golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.   Cool completely before cutting and serving.   Enjoy!

Variations:    After placing the cake mix on top of the pumpkin mixture, sprinkle one cup of chopped pecans over the cake mix, then drizzle with the melted butter.