Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Sunday, September 4, 2011

Applesauce Pie

I have been on an applesauce kick lately.   It started when I went through a bout of diverticulitis and didn't much like eating anything too substantial.   So I ate applesauce and more applesauce.   The more I ate of it, the better it tasted.   So when I got to feeling better I made applesauce cakes.   The folks at work loved them.   But this weekend I wanted to try something different and thought about making an applesauce pie.   I did several searches and came up with tons of recipes....some sounded good, others not so good.   I combined some of the features I liked best from several different places and came up with one of my own that was very simple and very tasty.   Here is what I ended up with:

1 1/2 cups applesauce
3 tbsp. flour
1/4 cup melted butter, for a richer flavor you could slightly brown the butter
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon (or apple pie spice)
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.   Beat together all of the ingredients until smooth and pour into the pie shell.   Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the pie is set and knife inserted into the center comes out clean.   Remove from oven and cool completely before cutting.   Store pie in fridge.   Enjoy!

You could vary the spices according to what you happen to like best.   For something like this, however, my personal preference is keeping it the simpler the better.