Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Sunday, October 16, 2011

Breakfast Burritos

I am a big fan of burritos, which basically are anything wrapped in a flour tortilla.   Usually I just wrap up my cooked and hot filling with some cheese, but sometimes after rolling it up, I'll grill it in my panini press.   Either way they are always delicious.    One of my all time favorites is a breakfast burrito.   There are innumerable combinations of fillings, here are a couple of my favorites.

This afternoon I made one that I especially love, it is probably my favorite.   This recipe will make enough filling for about 4-6 burritos, depending on how big you want them.   I heat about 2 tbsp. bacon fat or oil in a large non-stick skillet.   I then add 1 peeled and thinly sliced onion and about 1/2 cup cubed ham.    Then I add 1/2 bag of shredded hash browns, (I like the Simply Potatoes brand).   I fry this all together until nicely browned, just a few minutes.   Then I beat two eggs and pour over the potato, ham and onion mixture and scramble until done.   Meanwhile, I heat my large flour tortillas, taking a hot tortilla and add some shredded cheddar cheese and the amount of potato-egg mixture that I want, and roll it up.  Repeat with remaining tortillas and potato-egg mixture.   Place on plate and cover with some good picante sauce, I prefer Pace Chunky Picante Sauce.   Eat.

Another good burrito filling uses chorizo, the famous Mexican fresh sausage.    You can either use store  bought chorizo or make your own using my recipe here.    For 4-6 burritos, I use about 12 ounces of chorizo.   Heat a large non-stick skillet and add 1-2 tbsp. of oil.     Gently fry the chorizo, taking care not to let it burn.   When it begins to render some fat, add a peeled and thinly sliced onion, a seeded and finely chopped jalapeno chile and two chopped Roma tomatoes.   Continue to fry until the meat is lightly browned and the vegetables are very tender.   Beat 3-4 eggs and add to the fried chorizo mixture and scramble until the eggs are done.   Heat your tortillas and fill with the chorizo-egg mixture.   Cheese is probably not needed, as the chorizo is rich enough on its own.   Cover with your favorite picante sauce and enjoy.