Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Sunday, March 18, 2012

German Potato Salad

I happen to be a fan of potato salad, both the traditional one with mayonaise and served cold, but I really love hot potato salad, usually called German potato salad.   It is a warm, sweet and sour delight that goes especially well with roast pork or baked ham.    When I was younger my mom always seemed to make it when we had a baked ham.   My brother in law Gary is a big fan of it too.

6 average sized potatoes, boiled in the jacket, cooled enough to peel and then thinly sliced
6 slices of bacon, finely diced, fried crisp and drained
1 onion, peeled and chopped
2 tbsp. flour
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. celery seeds
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cups water

Fry the diced bacon and fry until the bacon is crisp.   Drain and reserve the crisp bacon pieces.   In the bacon grease, saute the onion until golden brown.   Add the flour, sugar, celery seeds, salt and pepper.   Fry about a minute, then add the water and vinegar.   Cook stirring, until thickened and bubbling about a minute or so.   Add the reserved bacon pieces and the cooked, sliced potatoes.   Stir well and serve.  Enjoy!

I have had, but never made myself, green beans like this.    You take your cooked green beans and mix with the bacon and the cooked sweet and sour sauce.   I also have a feeling that cooked beets would be very tasty done this way too.