Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Thursday, October 11, 2012

Oven Pork and Apple Stew

Last weekend I made the most delicious pork stew. I did it in the oven and used pork shoulder cut in cubes, then added apples, onions, carrots, celery and mushrooms. I flavored it with some apple juice, a small bit of thyme and some crushed red pepper. I was wonderful. Even Aaron liked it and took all the leftovers home with him. Here's how I did it.

I preheated the oven to 350 degrees. Then I took a deep roaster and layered the ingredients in it:

1-1/12 cups each, chopped carrots and celery
8 oz. pkg of sliced mushrooms, I used baby bellas as I think they have a better flavor, but use what you have
1 large onion peeled and chopped or chunked
2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and cubed

Over that I sprinkled: 1/4 cup quick cooking tapioca, about 1/4 tsp. dried thyme, 1 tsp. garlic powder, and a sprinkle of crushed red pepper.

Then I cubed about 3 pounds of pork shoulder, trimmed of fat (you could also use cubed boneless country style ribs). Finally I poured over this a can of chicken broth and about 1 1/2 cups apple juice and quater cup of apple cider vinegar. If you happen to have some hard cider around, you could use a bottle of that in place of the apple juice and it would probably be even better.

Then I baked it about three hours, stirring it about 3 times. When the meat it tender and the gravy thickened, it is ready to eat. I served it with some crusty bread and it was a delicious meal.   Feel free to change the vegetables, any root vegetable would be good in this.   Also feel free to use whatever herb or seasoning you  like best.