Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Sunday, November 18, 2012

Grandma Casey's Candied Sweet Potatoes


Thanksgiving is coming and I want to post some of my family's favorite things and things that I am usually asked to make for family gatherings.   One of them is candied sweet potatoes.   This is an old recipe, one my grandma used to make back in the Ozark hills.   It is very simple and easy to make.   The amounts vary, depending on how many you want to make.  I usually make about 1 sweet potato for each person that will be eating them.

5 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
about 1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup butter, cut into bits

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.   Place the sweet potatoes in a 9x13 in. pan,  pour the sugar evenly over the potatoes, then dot with the butter.   Bake the pan of sweet potatoes about 45 minutes to an hour, stirring 2-3 times.   You want the potatoes to be very tender, the sugar will form a very thick syrup and the potatoes will be lightly browned around the edges.  If  some blacken a tiny bit around the edges, don’t worry about it.   That bit is especially tasty.