Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Saturday, January 5, 2013

Packaged Chicken Broth

Chicken broth is something I tend to always keep in my pantry.  It is so handy to have it around when you need it.  While homemade is always better,  we all know that it takes time and effort to make.  And it doesn't help that the chickens found in the fresh meat department are not the best for making broth.   To make really good broth you need a roasting or stewing hen, something that most stores rarely carry except around the winter holidays.   So I usually just fall back on the packaged stuff.  

However, one of the biggest problems with using canned/packaged chicken broth (or other broths, for that matter), is that they tend to be extremely high in sodium.   As someone who is trying to keep to a low sodium diet, what can one do?   I did some research into lower sodium broths, but found even one the ones labeled "low sodium" are much too high in sodium for my well being.   I was about to give up finding an alternate when my brother in law happened to mention that McCormick's Kitchen Basics broths now come in a "no salt added" versions!   I was ecstatic!  I had used the regular Kitchen Basics broths in the past and liked them, so was not too dubious about trying this one.   I bought some, tried it and decided that it is now my favorite broth.   The flavor is very rich and chickeny, the list of ingredients was impressive, (be below) and the sodium was right down where I wanted it to be.  It is now my go to packaged chicken broth.   My only complaint and I am sure if this proves a good seller it will change, is that it only comes in quart containers.   Give it a try sometime!

Kitchen Basics Unsalted Broths

Ingredients:

CHICKEN STOCK, CHICKEN FLAVOR, HONEY, VEGETABLE STOCKS (CARROT, ONION, MUSHROOM, CELERY), BAY, THYME, PEPPER.

Nutritional Information:

 Calories: 20
Fat: 0 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Protein: 5 g
Sodium: 150 mg
Carbs: 1 g
Fiber: 0 g
Sugar: 0 g