Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Saturday, March 8, 2014

Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls

I love chicken soup, with rice or noodles or thickened into a stew with dumplings on top.   It is all good.   But surprisingly enough, I've had never matzo balls.  I've read about them.  Often wondered what they taste like, but never eaten them.   Recently Aaron asked me to try making matzo ball soup and I agreed to do so.   I did some research, looking at various recipes and what it should be like.   I came across one recipe that looked easy to make, so I got the stuff to make it and gave it a try tonight.   Turned out very good too.   Aaron liked it as well.   So here is how I did it. 

4 eggs
2 tbsp.  melted chicken fat, oil or melted butter
1 cup matzo meal
1/4 cup water, chicken broth or seltzer water/club soda (all the tips I read say that soda water gives a lighter matzo ball and that was what I used)
salt and pepper to taste
about 2 quarts of chicken soup with your favorite vegetables (I kept it simple: onion, celery and carrots)

Stir the fat into the matzo meal and combine well.   Beat the eggs and the soda water together well, then stir into the matzo meal and add salt and pepper to taste.   Mix well and then chill for at least an hour.    After it is well chilled, heat the soup to a boil and then form the matzo mixture into small balls, about 12-14 for this amount of mixture.   Drop the balls into the hot soup, lower the heat to a simmer and then cover the pot.   Simmer for 30-45 minutes.   Eat!  

Some of the other tips I read said you can add some finely chopped herbs or onion to the matzo mixture or add some other spices.