Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Eva Kinnick's Rhubarb Pie

I love rhubarb pie and also strawberry rhubarb pie as well.   Years ago, my good friend, Sue Kinnick, gave me this recipe of her mom's rhubarb pie recipe and I fell in love with it.  You can also make it with half strawberries and half rhubarb as well.    And, although long gone, I still think of you Sue any time I make it.  May your memory be eternal!

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 1/4 cup sugar
6 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/3 cup honey
4-5 drops red food coloring

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.   Line a 9 inch pie pan with your bottom crust.   In a large bowl,  place all of the pie ingredients together and mix well.  Put into the bottom crust and then dot heavily with butter, cover with top crust, seal and trim the edges, then cut 3 or 4 steam holes in top of crust.   Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 30-45 minutes.   The crust will be nicely browned and you will have juice bubbling through the steam holes.   Cool completely before cutting and serving.   Enjoy!