Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Salmon Patties

 When I was growing up my mom would often make mackerel patties, using very strongly fishy canned mackerel.   Later, on she began to use canned salmon for these patties, and this was a huge improvement.  I must confess, that I am not the biggest fan of these, but on rare occasions they do taste good, more as a nostalgic thing, than as a major culinary delight.   They are also a very good way to use leftover salmon that had been cooked for another purpose.    Another reason I don't make them often, is they do tend to make your house smell fishy for a while, so when I do cook them, I tend to cook them on my patio.    So here is my recipe!

1 15-oz can pink salmon, bones and skin removed or about 2 cups leftover cooked salmon or other fish, skin and bones removed

1 egg, or two if needed to hold the mixture together

1/4 cup,  onion finely chopped

25 saltine crackers crushed

any other seasoning as desired (chopped parsley, dried dill, garlic powder, paprika, celery salt, etc)

  3-4 tablespoons oil

Open the can of salmon and drain really well. You can remove the skin and bones if you like. In a bowl mix the salmon, egg, onion, and cracker crumbs, as well as any other seasoning you might like. Be sure you mix really well, you can add a second egg if you need too. The finer the mixture the less likely your patties will fall apart when cooking. Form 6 patties. In a frying pan, heat the oil. On medium heat, fry the patties 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Adding more oil as needed.