Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, December 28, 2009

The promised baked beans recipe

And here is the promised recipe for my baked beans. I love my baked beans fairly sweet and not too runny. I bake them long and slow and find they are quite tasty that way. Here's how I do it:

3-5 slices of bacon, roughly chopped
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 cup either molasses or honey
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1 heaping tbsp. brown mustard
dash of cloves
2 28-oz. cans of Bush's Best Boston Recipe Baked Beans

Fry the bacon until it is about half done, stirring frequently.   Add the onion and continue to cook until onion is golden brown.   Add the remaining ingredients, stir well and then pour/spoon into a a nice baking dish.   Bake at 350 degrees about an 1-1 1/2 hours or until the beans are dry on top, browned and smell heavenly.    If  you want to do it like Mama did it, then drape some extra bacon slices on top before putting in the oven to bake.    That browned bacon was my favorite part!