Bink's Kick-Ass Ginger Cookies
(My additions are all in parentheses)
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 (4 tbsp.) tablespoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
(1/2 tsp. clove)
(1/2 tsp. ground coriander)
(1/2 tsp. allspice)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dark molasses (sorghum)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (275 degrees C).
2. Mix together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the shortening until creamy. Add ginger and cinnamon and blend thoroughly. Add the 1 cup of sugar gradually and continue beating. Beat in the egg and the molasses.
4. Sift into this about 1/3 of the flour mixture, stirring and blending well. Repeat until all is added. Roll the dough into balls (about quarter-sized) by hand, then rolling each in a mixture of 1 tsp cinnamon in 1/3 cup sugar.
5. Place 2 inches apart on a ungreased baking 0sheet. Bake 9 minutes or until the tops are rounded and slightly cracked. Cool on a wire rack. Store in an air tight container.
For more about sorghum, go here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_sorghum