Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Saturday, February 6, 2010

A camping recipe from my sister Susan

My sister Susan is one of the readers of my blog.   She and her husband live in the wilds of Idaho and love camping.   Susan sent me this recipe and said I could share with you folks.   I don't camp, but this still sounds like something I would make at home.

"
Food for two (with good appetites from hiking and setting up camp)

4 thin pork chops (1/2 inch is good, bone-in has better flavor, but is
messier to eat)
1 large Burbank potato, skin on (can use red-skinned but they take longer
to cook) cut into bite size pieces
1 medium onion, bite size pieces
2 carrots, sliced
2 stalks celery sliced
1 small can mushrooms (or fresh if you like, but they don't keep well on a
camping trip)
Some kind for summer squash- yellow or zuccini (sp?)
1 medium tomato or a hand full of grape tomatoes, cut up

Wash all vegetables. Prepare as directed. (I may even do this at home, put
in ziplocks in the cooler).

In a cast iron dutch oven (4 quart is good size or any kind of skillet
with a lid) brown the pork chops in a tiny amount of oil. Don't over cook
or they will be tough.  Add all vegetables (except squash) and a cup of
water. Cook on high until boiling, then reduce to simmer.  Cook until
veggies are getting soft, then split the squash and lay over the top. Be
sure there is enough moisture so it doesn't burn, but not too much or you
will get watery gravy.
As the vegetables cook, the potatoes and carrots should add just enough
starch to the cooking fluid to make a slightly thickened sauce for your
vegetables.

Serve with salt/pepper to taste.  An absolutely delicious one pot meal. I
don't take a lot of spices with me camping, they get old in the camp box
and it's too much work to replace them each time, so I try to add plenty
of savory veggies so spices seem less needed. When camping out, tired and
hungry, you won't miss a lot of fancy dressing up!"

Enjoy!