Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, March 8, 2010

Eva Kinnick's Rhubarb Pie

Here's another rhubarb pie recipe.   See, I told you I love rhubarb pie!   This recipe was given to me by my dear friend Sue Kinnick and it was her mom's recipe.   Sadly, both Sue and her mom Eva are no longer with us (may their memories be eternal!), but I still have this recipe to remember them by.   I hope you like it as much as I do.

1 9-inch double crust pie shell
4 cups cubed rhubarb
1 1/4 cups white sugar
6 tbsp. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
1/3 cup honey
4-5 drops red food coloring (optional, but it makes the pie a pretty pink)
2 tbsp. butter

Mix together the rhubarb, flour, sugar, salt, lemon rind, honey and food coloring.   Stir until well blended.   Place in pie shell, dot with butter and then cover with pie dough.    Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake another 30-45 minutes.    Cool a couple of hours before cutting.   Enjoy!

To make a strawberry-rhubarb or pineapple-rhubarb pie, decrease the rhubarb to 2 1/2 cups and use 1 1/2 cups strawberries or cubed fresh pineapple.