Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Never Fail Pie Crust

I tried for years to make a light and flaky pie crust, that wasn't tough.   I tried several different recipes and never found one that seemed to work.    Finally, a friend at work gave me this one and it was the best pie crust I had ever eaten!   It is never tough and always flaky.   This recipe makes enough for two double crust pies.

4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups shortening (lard is the most tasty)
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. vinegar
1 egg
1/2 cup cold water

Cut the shortening/lard into the flour, making fine crumbs.   Beat the remaining ingredients together with a fork and then pour over the flour/shortening mixture.   Quickly stir together, form into a ball and chill about 20 minutes before dividing into four pieces and rolling out.     This dough also freezes well.   Enjoy