Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Blue Cheese Salad Dressing

For most of my childhood my mom worked as a waitress in various places.   My earliest memories of this is when I was a small child and she worked at the Frontier Motel and Restaurant in Poplar Bluff, MO.   It was always a treat to go there to eat and we would do it for special occasions.   It seemed that for years, we would especially go there to eat on Christmas Eve, before coming home and opening presents.   But every time I ate there, the main thing I looked forward to was a salad with their housemade blue cheese dressing.   It was cheesy and rich and very different from other blue cheese dressings and totally different from any bottled stuff.   I loved it so much, that Mama finally brought the recipe home and would make it for me.   It is very easy to make and so good  you'll have a hard time not just eating it by the spoonful.   If not thinned down as much as called for in the recipe, it will also make a killer blue cheese dip for your hot wings or raw vegetables.   There are two differences between my recipe and the one Mama brought home.   The original recipe made close to a quart and a half of dressing and I like more and bigger chunks of blue cheese.  The Frontier and Mama are both long gone, but this recipe brings back memories of both.   Enjoy!

1 cup good quality mayonaise, NOT MIRACLE WHIP!!!
1 cup sour cream
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. crushed sage
1 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2-1 cup cubed or crumbled blue cheese
white grapefruit juice to thin (lemon juice only if you have no grapefruit and fresh squeezed only)

Beat together the mayonaise, sour cream, garlic powder, sage, celery seed and black pepper.   Stir in enough grapefruit juice to make it pourable, adding more or less according to your preference.   Gently stir in the blue cheese.   Allow to mellow in the refrigerator a couple of hours before using.   If you are going to use it for a dip, then use only a couple of tablespoons of the grapefruit juice, just enough so the acid cuts the richness a bit.   Enjoy and think of my Mama!