Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Butter Sugar Cookies with Variations

One of my all time favorite cookies is a butter sugar cookie.   I like them tender and a bit chewy.    I searched high and low until I found this recipe.   It instantly became my favorite cookie recipe and one that I've had with several different variations.   Here is my cookie recipe!  Enjoy!

1 cup softened butter
2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 tbsp. milk
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Cream the butter and sugar together, then beat in the eggs, milk and vanilla.   Combine the flour, salt and baking powder, then mix into the butter and sugar mixture.   Mix well.    Chill for 3-4 hours.   When chilled form into 1 1/2 inch balls and roll in sugar, place on an ungreased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart, bake at 375 degrees 8-10 minutes, or until just barely beginning to brown around the edges.   Do not over bake!   Allow to cool on the cookie sheet a few minutes before removing to a rack to finish cooling.    Makes about 3 1/2-4 dozen.


Variations:     Cherry-almond sugar cookies.   Add 1/2 tsp. almond extract with the vanilla.    When adding the dry ingredients, include a bag of dried cherries and 1/2 cup sliced almonds.   Bake as usual.

Lemon or orange cookies:    Replace the milk with strained, juice of one lemon or 2 tbsp. fresh squeezed orange juice.   Cream the butter and sugar with the grated rind of 1 lemon or orange.   Omit the vanilla.   When rolling the dough balls in sugar, stir the grated rind of one lemon or one orange into abouty 1 cup sugar.    This is my favorite variation of this recipe.