Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, December 13, 2010

Sandwiches

Aaron's favorite food would have to be sandwiches.   If he has two slices of bread and something to put between them, he is a happy man.   So I often fix sandwiches of various kinds to keep him happy.   Luckily, there are an infinite variety of sandwiches that can be made.  

One thing that is a favorite of both of us, is grilled teriyaki chicken and pineapple sandwiches.   I take boneless chicken thighs and marinate for a couple of hours in a good quality teriyaki marinade, I like the Kikkoman brand.   I buy a peeled and cored whole pineapple and slice in 3/4 inch slices.   I then grill the marinated chicken pieces, as well as the pineapple slices until done in the middle and nicely browned outside.   I put a piece of chicken on a toasted roll, top the chicken with a slice of the grilled pineapple and then the top of the roll.   Aaron loves this!

Another sandwich that is good and also easy to make, is a grilled cheese with bacon.   I fry bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel.   Then I take soft French roll and split.   I fill it with a very sharp cheddar and the crisp bacon.   Then I grill it in my panini press until the roll is nice and crisp and the cheese melted.   Eat while very hot.   Delicious!   Aaron likes this too.

My favorite sandwich is chicken salad.   Aaron refuses to eat anything with mayonaise in it, so this is something I either enjoy alone or take to work with me.   I grind about 3-4 cups of cold, cooked chicken.    Then I finely chop 3-4 stalks of celery and a cleaned bunch of green onions.   I mix the chopped vegetables with the ground chicken and add enough mayonaise to make a spreadable mixture.    Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.

Another favorite of mine is ham salad.   I do that a bit differently than the chicken salad.   I grind 3-4 cups of ham and to that I add 3 grated hard boiled eggs, about 1/2 cup of finely chopped sweet pickle or drained pickle relish and enough mayonaise to make it nicely spreadable.

These are some of my favorite sandwiches.   How about you?   What do you like to put between two slices of bread?   What is your favorite?   And as always, enjoy!