Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, January 10, 2011

Italian Meatballs

Aaron and I rarely eat pasta, but every so often we get a hunger for some.   Usually I make my bolognese sauce, but this weekend I was hungry for meatballs.   I did some research and came up with a recipe for meatballs that I thought I'd try.   I'm very happy I did, as they turned out fantastic.   Good enough that I wanted to share it with you.  Here goes!


Italian Meatballs

1 ½ cups panko bread crumbs
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs
1 pound ground chuck
1 pound Italian sausage, hot or sweet, your preference
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tbsp. chopped parsley
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp. unflavored gelatin dissolved in 2 tbsp. cold water

Preheat oven to 450 degrees and spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.  Set aside.   Mix the panko bread crumbs with the buttermilk and set aside for about 10 minutes to soak, then mash to a smooth paste with a fork.   Add the remaining ingredients and mix well, but gently, with your hands.   Form into 2 inch balls and place on the greased baking sheet.   Roast uncovered for about 30 minutes, until nicely browned.   Simmer very gently in your favorite marinara sauce about 20-30 minutes, then eat with pasta or on a meatball sandwich.