Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Potato Pancakes

When I was a kid, any time we had leftover mashed potatoes, my mom would make potato pancakes out of them.   I was grown before I knew you could make them any other way.   Mama's potato pancakes were ok, but just not my favorite thing.   Later, I learned how to make them where they were a lot better and I didn't have to have leftover mashed potatoes to do it.

about 4 cups grated raw potatoes (I used the packaged hashbrowns in the dairy section of the store)
2 eggs
1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped (or a bunch of green onions, cleaned and chopped)
1/2 cup flour  (gluten free works well too)
1/2 tsp. baking powder
seasoning to taste (I use Mrs. Dash)
1/2 cup grated cheese, Parmesan is what I usually use, but a sharp cheddar works too

Mix all together well and heat a non-stick skillet with a couple tablespoons each of butter and olive oil.    Scoop up enough of the potato mixture about the size of a golf ball, flatten slightly and place in the heated butter/oil mixture.    Cook until brown on one side, turn, flatten with the spatula and brown on the other side.   Eat while hot.


To turn them into a main course, add some chopped ham to the potato mixture.     For a change of taste, add some crisp crumbled bacon to the mixture and try in a bit of the bacon fat.   Not health food, but quite tasty.