Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Saturday, January 12, 2013

Fried Rice

I love Chinese food, but it is something I just have not had much luck making at home.   Even the simple fried rice has eluded me, until now.   I recently came across a recipe for a homestyle fried rice (which I adapted to what I had on hand) that turned out just the way I had imagined it would and how I dreamed it would.   I like to pair this with the honey glazed pork I posted earlier in the blog.   I don't think you will be disappointed.

 
2 ½ tbsp. vegetable oil
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 stalk of celery, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 1/2 in. piece ginger root, peeled and chopped
2 eggs, beaten
¼ tsp. sesame oil
¼ tsp soy sauce
1 cup peas
1 cup carrots
1/2 onion, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced on the diagonal
4 cups cooked rice, cooled
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tsp. sesame oil


Pour 1 tbsp. oil in a nonstick pan, then add the finely chopped celery, chopped onions, ginger and garlic then cook until starting to brown a bit.  Remove from pan and set aside.   Let the pan cool a bit and while it does so, combine the following:  the egg, ¼ tsp. sesame oil and ¼ tsp. soy sauce.   Add ½ tsp of the oil to the pan and then pour in the egg mixture, spreading it thinly over the bottom of the pan.   Scramble until done.  Remove from pan and set aside.

Add the remaining oil to the pan and return the onions, garlic and ginger to the pan, with the sliced onion, sliced celery, peas and carrots.   Stir fry for a minute or two, then add the remaining ingredients and cook for another 3 minutes.   Add the cooked eggs and toss for another minute, allow to sit covered for 5-10 minutes, then serve.

For the peas and carrots, I just use a small bag of frozen peas and carrots, thawing in warm water, then draining well.   If you want to add some chicken, just stir fry some chopped fresh chicken when you stir fry the sliced onion, celery, peas and carrots.   For beef or pork, chop some leftover cooked beef or pork and add when you would add the vegetables.   For shrimp, add them at the very last, when you add the rice.   Cook until the shrimp are just pink, they will continue to cook when the fried rice is resting.