Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, July 13, 2015

Pineapple Cookies

I have a very good friend who loves anything with pineapple.  I have been trying to find a good recipe for a pineapple cookie that is more chewy than cakey, with a good pineapple flavor.  So far this one is the best I've some across.  There are many variations of it, but this is the basic recipe that hits the high points of all of them.  Not quite as chewy as I'd like and the pineapple flavor isn't quite as strong as I'd like, but for now it is a very good start.   And the cookie is a very good cookie.   I can recommend it even it isn't exactly what I was hoping for.  I will keep looking, but until then I will be using this one. 




1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
20 oz can crushed pineapple, drained and juice reserved
1 tsp. vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
For the icing:(if using)
reserved pineapple juice
2 cups powdered sugar
I didn’t have any crushed pineapple, so I ran a can of pineapple chunks through the blender.  It worked, but crushed is better.
Iin a mixer bowl cream the butter with the sugars.  Add the eggs, pineapple and vanilla.  In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  Blend into the wet ingredients.  Drop by teaspoonful onto a greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes.
I like them without the icing, although it might give them a hit of pineapple flavor.   
For the icing: Gradually add pineapple juice to the powdered sugar by the tablespoon.  You want the consistency to be a bit thick, but still stream off the spoon.  While the cookies are still warm, spread the icing on the tops.
This recipe makes about 8 dozen soft, delicious cookies.