Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Friday, February 19, 2010

Aunt Laura's Apple Cake

This is a recipe that I can remember my Grandma making all the time and it was always one of my favorite recipes.   I have the recipe in front of me on a piece of faded, stained and tattered paper.   I can barely make out Grandma's handwriting, but luckily I know the recipe well enough that I know what it calls for.   One thing about this cake.   It is a bit heavy and when first made a bit dry.  However, after sitting for a few hours or overnight, the moisture in the apples makes this a very moist and delicious cake.   I think you will enjoy it.

1 cup Wesson oil (other oils will work, this is just what the recipe calls for)
2 cup sugar (dark brown is the best but you can use white, too)
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 cups flour
3 cups, peeled and chopped apples
1 cup black walnuts (I leave them out because I don't care for them)

Beat together the oil, sugar eggs and vanilla, then add the apples and allow to sit for a few minute.      Then stir in the cinnamon, baking soda, salt and flour and mix until smooth.   Fold in the nuts if using.    The batter will be very stiff.    Spread in the bottom of a greased 9x13 inch cake pan.   Bake at 350 degrees 45 minutes to an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.   Allow to cool completely before cutting.   It is best made several hours ahead of time.    Enjoy!