Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Blueberry Sauce for Pancakes

Aaron and I are both big fans of breakfast for supper.  Neither of us are much for eating breakfast in the morning, but on rare occasions we love having it for supper.   Tonight was a special occasion (having oral surgery in the morning so probably can't eat anything solid for a while) and we had a delicious meal:   eggs (scrambled for him, fried for me), turkey sausage, ham and pancakes.    We are both fans of blueberry pancakes and I had originally planned on making them.   But I got to thinking a nice blueberry syrup or sauce would be good on plain ole buttermilk pancakes.   I first thought I'd just cook the blueberries with some sugar and lemon juice and that would be enough.   I did some searching online and came across several recipes for a blueberry sauce that sounded interesting, but just not quite what I had in mind.   So like I often do, I combined ideas from this recipe and that recipe, adding a bit of my own ideas along the way.   This is what I came up with.    Aaron loved it and we both agreed this recipe was a keeper.    I have a feeling it would probably be good using other soft fruits like blackberries, strawberries, raspberries or cherries.    It would also be good spooned over ice cream or plain cake.   Enjoy!

2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup white sugar or Splenda

Place this in a quart pan and bring to a full boil.    Stir 2 tbsp. corn starch into 1/4 cup cold water and stir until smooth.    Pour into the boiling berry mixture and stir well, cooking until thickened, about 1-3 minutes.   Remove from the heat and add 1/4 tsp. almond extract and 1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon.   If too thick, add a bit of water to bring to desired consistency.   Place in a covered bowl and allow to sit at room temperature at least an hour before serving.