Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cold Oven, Brown Sugar-Buttermilk Pound Cake

I think if I had to choose my favorite cake, it would be a pound cake.  I love the firm texture and close crumb, not to mention the delicate, buttery flavor.   Here is a nice pound cake that I recently tried and decided I really like.   The original recipe called for baking it in a 10 inch tube pan, but for taking to work I thought a 9x13 inch cake pan might work better.   Although this cake is very good just plain, I also chose to frost it with my caramel icing.   I'm including the recipe for that as well.   Enjoy!

1 cup butter, slightly softened
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs, room temperature
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup cold buttermilk


Cream together the vanilla, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until all are well incorporated. Sift together the flour and baking soda, then stir in the salt. Alternately add the flour and buttermilk into the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition. When about half is beat in, scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula, then finish adding the rest of the buttermilk and flour mixture. Spoon the batter into a buttered and floured 10 inch tube pan or into two loaf pans (I spread it into a greased and floured 9x18 cake pan) and smooth the top with the spatula. Place on the center rack of a cold oven and close the door, then turn the heat 325 degrees and bake about 1 1/4 hours. Do not open the door of the oven until at least an hour has passed. When done the cake should be richly browned, possibly cracked on top and pulled away from the edges of the pan. Also, a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake should also come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes before removing to complete cooling.

If you choose to frost it, here is my favorite caramel icing:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp. honey

Place in a saucepan and bring to a full boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes. Then stir in 1/4 cup milk or cream and boil about 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then beat in about 1/4 tsp. vanilla. Cool a few more minutes, then beat in 1 3/4-2 cups powdered sugar. Beat until smooth and the spread while still a bit warm, as it thickens as it cools. Make enough for for two 8-inch layers or one 9x13 inch cake.