Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Sunday, May 15, 2011

Berry Pie

I love pies, especially fruit pies.   And the simpler, plainer they are, the better I like them.   When I make fruit pies I normally just use fruit, sugar and some kind of thickener.    If it is an apple or peach pie, I will use some kind of spice, normally just some cinnamon and maybe a touch of cloves with peaches.   Berry pies are an especial favorite, blackberry in particular, although blueberry is pretty good too.   With blueberry pies I sometimes add a little lemon juice, just to add a touch of acidity.   For thickening a berry pie, I like to use Minute Tapioca.   I just prefer the texture it gives for a berry pie.

1 double crust for a 9 inch pie
4 cups blackberries (or raspberries or blueberries or a mixture)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup Minute Tapioca
2 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. lemon juice (if using blueberries)

Mix the berries, sugar and tapioca (plus lemon juice if using) in a large bowl and allow to sit for about 15 minutes.    Then line your pie plate with the bottom crust, spoon in the fruit and the butter cut into small bits.   Cover with the top crust and seal the edges.   Cut a couple of slits in the top of the pie for steam vents.    Bake at 400 degrees about 45-50 minutes, until well browned and the juice is bubbly.   Remove from the oven and allow to cool and rest a couple of hours before cutting.   Enjoy!