Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pork Cutlets

One of my favorite cuts of meat is what is commonly called a pork cutlet.   That is a thin slice of pork, usually very lean, that has been mechanically tenderized in some fashion.   They are usually cheap and always tasty.   They are also fairly versatile, in that you can do many things with them.    My all time favorite way to cook them is the simplest:  I dredge them in flour and fry until brown and crisp in hot oil.   Usually, after they are cooked, I make a nice cream gravy with the drippings.    If  you want to get a bit fancier, dredge in flour (seasoned to taste, I like using Mrs. Dash), then dip in beaten egg and milk (about 1/4 cup milk to each egg), then roll in bread crumb.   Fry until crisp in hot oil.   If you like, when well browned you can top with a slice of cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted.

But if I'm wanting a nice crisp pork cutlet, but without the mess of frying, I bake them.   I dredge in flour, then in the egg wash and bread crumbs, then place on a well greased baking sheet.   Spray the cutlets with cooking spray, then bake at 400 degrees about 40 minutes or until browned and crisp.   These make wonderful sandwiches!

To vary the taste, add some Mrs. Dash and hot sauce to the egg wash.   You can also add some grated parmesan cheese to the bread crumbs.    And, as always, enjoy!