Search This Blog

Welcome to my Blog 'In The Kitchen With Don'! Thank you for your visit and come back soon!


Monday, May 16, 2011

Cherry-Pecan Jello Salad

I guess I'm a child of my time, as I still have a fondness of gelatin salads.   When I was a kid in the 1960's and 1970's they were all the rage.   My mom often made plain Jello or would sometimes put cubed canned peaches in it, but for holidays she would sometimes make a fancier Jello salad.   I always loved them.   I rarely make them now, but I do still enjoy them.   Now, when I do make one, I make it for a light dessert, especially in the summertime.   They tend to be fairly light and cooling, so perfect for the summer. 

This particular gelatin salad I had while visiting my friends the Lee's and Yarbroughs down in southeast Kansas.   It quickly became one of my favorite Jello recipe.   I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do.

1 large pkg. cherry Jello
2 cups boiling water
1 cup cold water
1 can Wilderness cherry pie filling
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Dissolve the Jello in the boiling water.   When completely dissolved, stir in the cold water and the cherry pie filling and mix well.   Then stir in the chopped pecans.    Pour into an  9x13 inch pan, cover and refrigerate until firm.   I like to serve it with a dollop of either whipped cream or whipped topping.   Enjoy!